Capt. Mark Tyler Voss Middle School and PTO host many events throughout the year that require volunteer support. These events include SOAR Days, spirit days, book fairs, parties, and dances. We need your help to support the students and staff at VMS.
10 Reasons to Get Involved at VMS
1. Volunteering makes a big difference. Research consistently shows that kids whose parents are involved in their schools do better.
2. Volunteering offers tangible ways to be part of things. Sometimes we might mean well, but our busy lives get in the way of committing. Volunteering with VMS PTO provides concrete ways to get involved, whether at events, in the classroom, or on a committee.
3. It feels great to participate! Your child spends a lot of time at school, and it’s great to share some of their school-related experiences with them.
4. You’ll get to know other parents. It’s powerful to create a circle of adult friends around a school, and having a shared interest is a good place to start. What’s more, it can help foster connections between families in your community.
5. Your help is always needed. Whether it’s helping run the next big event or providing support in the classroom, there are always ways to pitch in.
6. It’s a manageable commitment. Volunteering can seem daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. Spend an hour at a book fair or party, and your efforts will be appreciated. And remember, it’s always OK to say no when you’re busy.
7. It’s fun! Even simple events like SOAR Days and Spirit Days can spice up your week.
8. You can tailor volunteering to play to your strengths. Within the VMS PTO or school community there are many ways to contribute, some of which are sure to complement your strengths, interests, or professional skills.
9. Have a great idea? Volunteering gives you opportunities to get your ideas out there.
10. Volunteering provides another way to get to know school and support staff to better understand their needs and ideas.